Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fun with Fake Food & FEV

Cherry Pie Prop  
Recipe:
Model Magick (big white tub available at Hobby Lobby to shape the lattice crust)
Rubber Grapes
Expanding Foam
Hot Glue
FEV (French Enamel Varnish)
Paint
Interior paint Clear Seal


So I took a cheap empty pie pan and filled the bottom with expanding foam. I then picked some less then desirable looking fake rubber grapes to pluck from their bunch and sprinkle on top of the wet expanding foam. Let dry in a well ventilated area.

I painted the grapes and pink expanding foam a bright cherry red. Let dry. Then I drizzled Hot glue all over the top of the cherries to make them look glassy. I then took some red FEV (French Enamel Varnish)

Recipe for FEV:
1 part denatured alcohol
1 part shellac
Drops of Leather dye for color






*FEV is awesome at leaving a shiny coat of color on objects when it dries. Here is an example of a punch bowl we have in stock which was colored with FEV. NO REAL FOOD should ever be exposed to a surface with FEV, but it's great for faking liquids and sugar syrup.



I used the model magick by rolling it out like pie dough. Then I used sheers to cut the shape of the lattice. Once the model magick dried I used three varieties of accrylic color one amber, one beige and one brown to color the crust. I then sealed the prop with clear coat seal. tah dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment